Monday, July 1, 2013

Banana Cream Cheese Muffins


Bananas are a staple at my house.

They're the perfect food:

  • They're totally healthy.
  • They taste great.
  • They come in their own convenient packaging, naturally.
  • They're yellow, which is obviously the happiest color.
  • They have an excellent source of potassium, K?
  • They make a great snack.
  • You can totally mail them with the proper postage. 
  • They can sing
  • They make the best baked goods even when they're brown and mushy. 
  • You can do this with them (because why not?)
I've made many things out of old bananas, and I've even started buying the oldest looking bananas at the grocery store just so I can bake with them. 

Yesterday, I began craving a muffin around 10 am. By the time I baked the muffins around 3 pm, I had to practically pry my hands away from them so I wouldn't consume all of the muffins before my parents got any. 

I had pinned a banana crumb muffin recipe from Eat At Allie's many moons ago and I was itching to try it (isn't that phrase disgusting? I think it ranks somewhere between "Keep your eyes peeled" and "Party pooper")

We had an obscene amount of cream cheese (Sam's Club, anyone?), so I wanted to add some cream cheese into the recipe. I thought of those delicious Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins that have been circling Pinterest for a while. 

Banana Cream Cheese Muffins

Yields: 12 Muffins

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 or 3 bananas, mashed
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1/4 cup powdered sugar

4 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp flour
2 tbsp cold butter

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. 
2. Beat bananas, sugar, egg, and butter together. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Scoop with a cookie scoop into a muffin tin lined with muffin papers. 
3. Beat cream cheese with egg and powdered sugar. Scoop about 1 tbsp of the cream cheese mixture on top of the muffin batter in each cup and swirl it a little bit with a knife. 
4. Using a pastry cutter or two forks, cut the butter into the sugar and flour. Sprinkle the crumble on top of each muffin cup. 
5. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 


Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment